This page contains a brief description that does not cover the medication. For more information read the review in Felleskatalogen.no for the respective drug.
The active substance is secukinumab which blocks IL-17 in the immune system and thus reduces rheumatic inflammation. Cosentyx is given as an injection under the skin (subcutaneously). The dose is 150-300mg subcutaneously monthly, often with more frequent dosing during the first few weeks of treatment and depending on the disease being treated.
Cosentyx is not the first treatment choice
- Psoriatic arthritis
- 300mg subcutaneously weekly first 5 weeks, then monthly
- Ankylosing spondylitis (Bekhterev's disease)
- 150mg subcutaneously weekly first 5 weeks, then monthly
- Measurement of drug dosage; please see here (anx.no/sekukniumab)
Immunosuppressive treatment increases the risk of infection. More about side effects, precautions here (the Norwegian "Felleskatalogen")
- H-prescription which is covered by the patient's health enterprise