This page contains a brief description that does not cover the medication. For more information read the review in Felleskatalogen.no for the respective drug.
Barcitinib belongs to the drug group JAK inhibitors. JAK inhibitors are a relatively new group of antidepressant drugs in the form of tablets for rheumatoid arthritis. They reduce rheumatic inflammation and the immune system by inhibiting blocking Janus Kinase (JAK) JAK1, JAK2, JAK3 and to a lesser extent TyK2. This attenuates the interleukins (IL-2, -4, -6, -7, -9, -15, -21) and interferon I and II.
- Baricitinib (Olumiant) tablets are dosed 4mg once daily
- Tofacitini (Xeljans) another JAK inhibitor that is usually dosed 5mg twice daily
- Possible side effects include illness Herpes zoster ( "Shingles"), Tuberculosis, others Opportunistic infections and generally increased risk of infection
- Follow-up in collaboration with rheumatologist
- Prior to start of treatment, it is recommended
- Regular Blood tests are recommended
- Hepatic enzymes and kidney function
- Cholesterol and triglyceride are controlled at the start of treatment and after 3 months of treatment (rising values occur)