Systemic Fungal infection (mycosis). Candida albicans: amounts to approx. 2/3 of the fungal infections in Norway. Rheumatic symptoms are not to be expected, and usually the infection is harmless. However, with a weakened immune system, as with immunosuppressive treatment of rheumatic diseases, Candida can lead to complications.
Symptoms of systemic infection
- Prolonged antibiotic-resistant fever
- Localized Endo-ophthalmic infection (eye infection)
- Osteomyelitis (Skeleton infection)
- Brain abscess (Infection in part of the brain)
- Enlarged liver and spleen (hepatosplenomegaly) with small lesions on CT examination (by chronic invasive or hepatosplenic candidiasis)