"ChikungunyamapMarch2015" by Unenthusiastic - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ChikungunyamapMarch2015.png#/media/File:ChikungunyamapMarch2015.png
"2012-01-09 Chikungunya on the right feet at The Philippines" by Nsaa - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2012-01-09_Chikungunya_on_the_right_feet_at_The_Philippines.jpeg#/media/File:2012-01-09_Chikungunya_on_the_right_feet_at_The_Philippines.jpeg
Chikungunya ICD-10 A 92.0
Viral disease caused by Chikungunya. Increasing number of infected people in western countries per 2014. Rheumatic symptoms are common.
Epidemics in West Africa, Eastern Central, South African countries and Asia. In recent years also in the Caribbean and the US (few cases).
After mosquito bites, high fever (up to 40 degrees Celcius) begins 2-3 days after infection (maximum after 12 days).
- Small dot (petechia) or spotted (maculopapular) rash on the body and sometimes also on the arms and legs
- Strong rheumatic Pain in multiple joints (Arthralgia) that can also swell (Arthritis)
- In many cases, the legs swell up
- Symptoms may also include headaches, nausea, vomiting and eye symptoms photophobia
- Some also get Eye infections (iridocyclite)
PCR examinations of blood can detect infection within a few days. Serological tests for chikungunya virus IgM antibody are available, but "false positive results" may occur. Virus culture after blood test is possible, but the examinations take at least 1-XNUM weeks.
Mosquito Protection. No vaccine is available (per 2015), but is under review.
No specific treatment. Symptoms against pain with NSAIDs such as naproxen (Napren) or paracetamol are appropriate.
Progress / Forecast
The fever disappears abruptly, most often after two days, but joint pain, headache and fatigue often last a week or longer.
- Completely symptom-free becomes most over the course of a few months (younger people recover most quickly)
- Chronic illness in the form of persistent pain has been reported