Cryptococci are fungi (Cryptococcus neoformans, Cryptococcus gattii) that rarely cause infection.
- In case of a weakened immune system such as during immunosuppressive, anti-rheumatic treatment, after organ transplantation or by the wood HIV infection, however, severe infection can develop
- The infection does not cause rheumatic symptoms
Cryptococcus neoformans are inhaled into the lungs. It is unknown why the central nervous system (CNS) with the brain is attacked frequently.
- The initial infection of the lungs usually gives no symptoms
- Meningitis (meningitis)
- Diffuse symptoms often cause weeks to months before diagnosis is made
- Encephalitis = neurogenic symptoms of brain nerves, ataxia, tremor, decreased sensitivity, mental change. Hemiplegia. hearing Loss
Inflammation of the brain and brain
- Focal neurological paralysis in brain nerves, ataxia, tremor, hemiplegia, deafness.
- MRI or CT examination of the brain is done before spinal puncture (possibly increased pressure /hydrocephalus at CNS affection)
- Lumbar puncture (after CT or MRI examination of the brain)
- Cerebrospinal fluid: Antigen test can be read immediately. Cultivation has 90% sensitivity, but takes 3-5 days. Cerebrospinal fluid is examined with “India Ink” (ink) (50% sensitivity). Opening pressure at puncture is elevated. NOTE! hydrocephalus may require shunting. Mononuclear cells, not necessarily elevated cell count, low glucose or elevated protein. Culture from bronchial fluid, blood cultures, and urine.
- Untreated, the disease is fatal
- Combine amphotericin (0,5-0,7 mg / kg / d) and flucytoin (100-150mg / kg / d) over 2 weeks
This page has had 1 visits today